All Saints’ Episcopal Church Cemetery
On Saturday, November 5th, 2016 a historic marker was unveiled at All Saints’ Cemetery by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). The historic marker was placed at the white building at the base of the hill, across from the flagpole. It will provide insights to passersby into the history of our cemetery, which dates back to 1889. All Saints’ Cemetery is the third site in the Diocese of Southeast Florida to be awarded a DAR historic marker and will join the more than 200 hundred historic sites marked throughout Florida alone. Thank you to all who participated in this historic event and congratulations to All Saints’ Episcopal Church Cemetery!
The new Historic Marker was presented by: L to R (Yellow Blazer) – Esther Twitchell, Honorary Regent, Halpatiokee Chapter and the Halpatiokee Chapter Historic Marker Ceremony committee chairman; Sharon Hill Paugh, Regent Halpatiokee Chapter, Ginger Poffenberger, State Regent, Florida State Society Daughters of the American Revolution, (FSSDAR) and Mary Allen, State Chaplain FSSDAR
The Mansion at Tuckahoe
The chapter marker at The Mansion at Tuckahoe is located on the top of a hill at 1921 North East Indian River Drive in Jensen Beach, Martin County, Florida, overlooking the Indian River. Archeologists have determined that more than 4,000 years ago Native Americans created a thirty foot tall mound of oyster shells which makes this site one of the tallest sites in the state. Prehistoric pottery has also been found in the mound. In 1938 the 14,000 square foot mansion was built on top of the Indian mound. The text on the marker is as follows below:
The Mansion at Tuckahoe 1938 – restored 2009 – listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Presented by Halpatiokee Chapter, NSDAR Stuart, Florida, November 2010.
Gilbert’s Bar Prehistoric Site
The chapter marker at Gilbert’s Bar House of Refuge, is situated on the coastal rocks of Anastasia formation, one of the most prominent geologic outcropping along the entire Eastern seaboard. The address is 301 SE MacArthur Boulevard, Hutchinson Island, Stuart, Florida. The text on the marker is as follows below:
Europeans arriving at Hutchinson Island in the 16th century found the island populated by hundreds of Native Americans living in settlements bordering both the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian River.
The rich marine environment provided these Native Americans a diet of fish, shellfish, and sea animals, including whale and sea turtle. The land provided them with deer, bear, snakes, and edible and medicinal plants.
Because of the lack of hard stone, tools and weapons were fashioned from bone, shell, and wood. Vessels were made from gourds, wood, and clay. Wooden dugout canoes efficiently ferried groups and families from the Atlantic Ocean to the St. Lucie and Indian Rivers.
Archaeologists have documented numerous prehistoric sites on Hutchinson Island. Many sites have been damaged by hurricanes and looters. Gilbert’s Bar House of Refuge was built on top of a prehistoric settlement dating to as early as circa 800 BC.
By the late 18th century, disease, warfare, and slave raids had decimated the Native American populations. There are no known decedents of the first people of Hutchinson Island.