History – Original Founders
Halpatiokee Chapter was organized in Stuart, Florida, on January 20, 1949, by Organizing Regent Ezelle G. Lyons and sixteen patriotic women. State Regent Mrs. David M. Wright and Honorary State Regent Mrs. James F. Byers attended the organizing meeting luncheon.
The chapter name, Halpatiokee, was the name the Seminole Indians gave to the St. Lucie River, “river of large alligators.”
State Regent Mrs. Wright welcomed the chapter to the national and state societies and presented gifts of the flag of the United States of America and the flag of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Organizing members of Halpatiokee and guests present at this meeting were: Mrs. L.W. Barnes, Mrs. Evans Crary, Mrs. Harold Coutant, Mrs. Dewey Hayes, Miss Myrtle Dyer, Mrs. H.H. Hipson, Mrs. Paul Hoenshal, Mrs. Harvey Homlar, Mrs. Lane Jennings, Mrs. M. G. Littman, Mrs. Ernest Lyons, Mrs. T. E. Preston, Mrs. Earl J. Ricou, Mrs. Albert Shrigley, Mrs. Peter Steelman, Mrs. Webster Ordway, and Mrs. W. R. Leach.